WoW can be an infinite time sink and, if you’re not careful, you’ll turn around and realise you’ve suddenly lost balance in your life and have somehow ended up with a second job keeping up with everything there is to do in game. Not ideal.
The key is to set yourself a set of goals that define what success looks like to you.
Possible win conditions to set:
- Rep – any factions you want to grind out or catch up on?
- Gear – what does BiS mean for you? LFR + rep gear? 5 man-heroics only? 10N? 25N? 10H? 25H? You decide.
- Transmog – do you have goals for an old Tier set you want to farm? Or a unique look you want to create?
- PvP – Will you dip your toes into PvP for the first time, or will you continue your campaign to dominate your foes?
- Alts – do you have some alts you want to level? If so, how many? to what level?
- Pets – are there any rare pets you want to hunt down or acquire? (cough)
Personally, I have quite a bit going on in the real world, so losing myself in a game isn’t high on my list of priorities (despite wishing I could some days!).
Still, I have some goals. If I can achieve these goals, reckon I will be doing OK. Key to this is setting win conditions that are achievable and sticking to them. Once you “win” for a given patch cycle, either move on or reset them to something else, but always have a clear set of goals.
Here are my goals. We’ll see how I go….By the end of WoW5 (ie the MoP Expansion):
- One of every class to 90 (Currently at 4)
- One character in leading tier LFR (Can’t do raiding schedules any more, sadly)
- A couple of alts (Currently Priest and Rogue, although that may change) at T-1 LFR + rep rewards
- The rest in whatever they get to as far as gear goes – not really worried. But…
- Transmog outfits that I am happy with for all 11 toons (you gotta have a sense of fashion after all!
- 1 or 2 man a bunch of old school stuff with a mate and push that as far as possible given our time and skill levels
- Hopefully encourage my better half to participate and level up a Panda with me (hey, a guy can dream, right?)
I reckon that sounds pretty damn good, and I’ll be pretty stoked if I can achieve it.